Sunday, February 22, 2009

Wacky Cake


Years ago, Doug and I had a friend who was still single and spent lots of time with us. For his birthday, I made dinner and asked him what his favorite cake was. He said, "That chocolate cake... the one that everyone brings to their family reunions." I had no clue but imagined it was this recipe and made it for him. He took one bite and said, "Yep! This is the one!" It's a chocolate cake with a different kick to it. I've never understood why but it truly is the best chocolate cake I've ever tasted and it's the most simple. The lady who gave me the recipe 32 years ago mixed the cake right in her 9x13 pan, needing absolutely no cleanup except the fork she used to mix it with. I use my Bosch kitchen mixer but it taste just the same. Try it. You'll have all of the ingredients. It takes about three minutes to mix and have in the oven. You'll love it! It's every bit as quick and better than any storebought cake mix I've ever tried.



2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda

Mix. Then add:

1 Tbsp. vanilla
3/4 cup oil
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 cups cold water

Bake in a 9x13 pan and you don't even have to grease and flour the pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Frost with your favorite frosting. I'll include my favorite peanutbutter-cream cheese frosting for this cake below! Enjoy!

4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3 - 4 cups powdered sugar

Mix till fluffy! Spread on warm cake. Enjoy!

No comments: