Friday, March 6, 2009

Wisconsin Cheddar and Chive Biscuits


One of our favorite restaurants is Red Lobster. Quayd loves it because of the "all you can eat shrimp". (Remember, he'd love a shrimp birthday cake!) I love it because of the cheesey biscuits served before the meal. I found this recipe in a cookbook given to me by my mom years ago and it's as close as I've come to matching Red Lobster's. As a matter of fact, they may even be better! The secret to making great biscuits, according to my Grannie from the deep woods of North Carolina, is not over-mixing them. The butter and flour may still be "clumpy, but they'll turn out real good!"

3 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
10 Tbsp. butter, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I use milk and lemon juice)
Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a baking sheet. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Rub the butter into dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the cheese and chives and stir to mix. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add the buttermilk and stir until the batter comes away from the sides of the bowl. Drop in 3 tbsp. mounds spaced 2-3 inches apart onto baking sheet. Bake for 12 -14 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!

No comments: