Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mexican Tomato, Corn and Chicken Soup




Soup Day is coming!! Soup Day is the first day that we have cool weather and snow on the mountains here in Utah. I thought I'd share one of our favorite soups because it's what I'm craving these days! (I know that this photo isn't of the soup, but it is of Soup Day 2006, so it worked for me.) One winter night, I was dropping something off at my sister-in-law's home as she was preparing this soup. She said that it was a 20 minutes start-to-finish soup. I stuck around and watched her prepare it, then had a taste. It was so good that I stopped on the way home at the grocery store for the ingredients because it was delish! This is a must try recipe!! Seriously, you'll thank me for sharing it!
8 scallions or green onions, thinly sliced
7 cloves garlic
2 jalepenop peppers, seeded and chopped
1 quart coarsely chopped tomatoes
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 quart chicken broth
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch strips
2 cups frozen corn
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 lime (4. tbsp.)
2 cups crushed corn tortilla chips

Saute the scallions and peppers in 2 Tbsp. olive oil for about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, sauce, broth, cumin and salt. Brint to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the flavors are blended, about five minutes. Add the chicken and corn. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked, about three minutes. Stirn in the cilantro and lime juice. Serve with a dollap of sour cream and/or shredded cheese. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Susan said...

so where do the chips go?

Anonymous said...

We used the chips crumbled on top like crackers would be. My question was "what happened to the garlic?" I went ahead and sauted the garlic with the scallions and the peppers ... worked for me ;) It really was a good soup .... but that part about 20 minutes from start to finish ..... ha ha .... took me that long to chop the peppers, onions, garlic and slice the chicken!