Sunday, July 20, 2008

Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole



No food photo today but I wanted to share what my friend, Charith, brought to me during my recovery from the surgery. She called it "comfort food" and I can completely agree. (I'm sharing a photo of something else that brings me comfort instead!) I asked for the recipe and she kindly shared. I'll be making this one again for sure!


1 6.2 oz package Fried Rice flavored Rice-a-Roni, cooked. (Cook the Rice-A-Roni using 1 Tbsp. oil)

4 cups shredded cooked chicken

1 cup reduced fat sour cream

1 10.75 oz. can reduced fat cream of chicken soup

36 crushed Ritz crackers

6 Tbsp. (3/4 of stick) butter, melted

1 Tbsp. poppy seeds


Preheat oven to 375°. Spoon the rice in an even layer over the bottom of an 11x7 inch baking dish. Combine the chicken, sour cream and chicken soup in a medium bowl. Mix well. Spoon this over the rice. In the same bowl, combine the crackers and melted butter. Scatter this over the chicken mixture. Sprinkle the poppy seeds evenly over the top. Bake until it is bubbly and the crackers have lightly browned. Serve immediately.




2 comments:

Scrappin' 4 ever said...

I am happy to see you are back! This chicken casserole sounds so yummy! It goes in my recipe book and will be on my table this week.Thanks!

msdramateacherlady said...

This will end up in my menu plan for next week. It sounds wonderful! Very glad to have you back.