Sunday, November 2, 2008

the battle of the Caramel Corns



Connie and I go the rounds on this one because until I tried hers, I always thought that I made the best caramel corn in the world! Doug loves mine because it's baked and not so sticky. I now love Connie's because it's ooey and gooey and very simple to make! So, here's both our recipes! The photo is of Connie's. Mine looks like Cracker Jacks when I bake it. Below is another version of mine and it's out of this world delish! It's alway a perfect little holiday neighbor or office gift! (I'll try to remember to photograph it when I make some in the upcoming weeks.)




Connie's Caramel Corn




1 cup brown sugar


1 cup Karo syrup


1/2 cup butter




Place in large saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil five minutes. Stir in one can of sweetened condensed milk. Pour over 4 bags of microwave popcorn.




My Caramel Corn




Melt 2 sticks of butter in a large saucepan. Stir in:




2 cups brown sugar


1/2 cup corn syrup


1 tsp. salt




Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add:


1/2 tsp. baking soda


1 tsp. vanilla




Bake at 250° on a greased cookie sheet or jelly roll pan for one hour, stirring every fifteen minutes. Remove from heat and it will cool crunchy.




OR ~ and oh, is this a great OR!!!




Do not bake. Mix the caramel corn and, while still warm, toss in a bag of milk chocolate chips and 1 small can of cashews or pecans or peanuts. Toss well. Once cool, dish into large cellophane bags and tie with raffia or ribbon, add a cute tag and you've got a very tasty, cute gift that will be talked about for a long time!




Note: This recipe is finger licking good! Prepare to gain five pounds before the batch has disappeared or put on your walking shoes and walk a few extra miles for the next few days! Enjoy!

1 comment:

~Diana~ said...

I tried your recipe and it was TO DIE FOR! I used the latter suggestion to add chocolate chips and nuts to it. I used cashews. I gave it to my primary class for a Christmas treat and they raved over it. My husband absolutely loved it and he doesn't like popcorn. Thanks for sharing another good recipe....