Thursday, March 8, 2012

Avocado Chicken Salad


I made this recipe for a bridal shower and it was a huge hit!  This recipe filled almost the entire giant red tupperware bowl.  I found the recipe on Pinterest and it's so "non-specific", just adjust it to taste.  Here's what I did:
3 rotisserie chickens (from Sam's Club)
3 limes (next time, I'd even use four)
5 chopped avocados (the recipe called for 2 or 3, but the avocado made it!)
1 large bunch of cilantro
1 bunch of green onions
mayonnaise (I used about a quart)
lots and lots of salt and pepper
Debone and shred the chicken into tiny tiny pieces.  Chop the green onions (I chop from the very top to the very end and use it all.) Chop the cilantro.  Add the mayo and stir until it's as "wet" as you want it.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I made the salad the night before but added the avocados a few hours before.  Add lots more pepper on top as a garnish. Enjoy!
I served the salad on mini pie shells.  (I used refrigerated pie crust, cut them in circles using a kids size glass, pressed them into mini-muffin tins and baked them.)  However.  We tried the extra, after the shower on crackers and I liked that even better!  Should have done that in the first place, like Denise and Marilyn both suggested.  LOVED it!  Seriously, the best chicken salad I've ever had and a great change from the grape/celery/cashew version of chicken salad.  OH MY!

1 comment:

Carrie from Sam's Club said...

Shopia, I love finding recipes to try on Pinterest, too! What a great way to change things up from the traditional chicken salad. I thought you might be interested in checking out our 7 ways to use Rotisserie Chicken, http://bit.ly/ykBZWr. Thanks for shopping at Sam’s Club! – Carrie from Sam’s Club