Sunday, March 7, 2010

Funeral Potatoes


Funeral Potatoes are called funeral potatoes because they are the staple at every LDS funeral I've ever attended! Denise calls them Party Potatoes. We just call them good!

8 large potatoes (boiled or baked, then chopped into bitesize or smaller pieces)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups sour cream
2 cups grated cheese
1/2 cup green onion chopped
2 tbsp. butter

Sprinkle salt to taste over the potatoes and then pour the remaining mixture over the potatoes. Do not mix. Cover with corn flakes and more cheese. Bake at 350° till bubbly

OR
Toss all ingredients (plus 1 soup can of milk) in the crockpot and let them cook all afternoon, then add more cheese at the end. Leave out the cornflakes. Different, but my family prefers them MUCH more than the baked way! Either way, Enjoy!

1 comment:

StephenC said...

Hello,
I'm writing a book about 1940's and 50's food (it's when I was a lad. I'm curious to know if funeral potatoes' history goes back that far. I'll only see your (hoped for) reply if you write to me at scrout1944@msn.com Thanks
Stephen Crout