Friday, October 21, 2011

Creamy Cheesy White Chili





I made White Chicken Chili as a mistake. I've been craving it for days. I'd checked my recipe on my iPhone while at the store to make sure I had what I needed to make it a few days ago. Then, when I made it this morning, I opened my cookbook. Oops. Later, I realize that I'm using two recipes ~ one from memory and one from my cookbook. Once I realized my mistake, I had to merge the two and figure out what to do because they were definitely different...one had cheese, one didn't. One used a bottle of Italian dressing, one didn't... Here's what I created using what I had and what I'd put into the crockpot before realizing the problem. It was the best White Chili I've yet to taste. Loved it!


2 chicken, skinless, boneless chicken breast

4 cans great northern white beans

5 cups chicken broth

16 ounces half and half (instead of cream)

16 ounces sour cream (I used low-fat kind)

1 bag frozen corn

4 jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped in food processor)

1 packet of italian dressing mix no-name brand,just the powder, don't make the dressing)

3 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar)

1 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 large purple onion chopped

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. black pepper


Put everything, except the cream, sour cream and cheese, into the crockpot. Cook on high for about six hours. Remove the chicken breast and shred with two forks. Add the chicken back to the crock pot and then add the dairy ingredients. Cook for another half an hour or so and serve. Salt and pepper to taste. SO SO GOOD! Great with cornbread! Note: I can't wait to try it with limes, avocados and corn chips all garnishing this soup. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Nicole Dirickx said...

This is very similar to the recipe your friend Marilyn posted on her blog. I think next time I will try yours, I like the addition of cheese... And Fritos on top sounds like a good idea too! We had our white chili with your sweet corn bread recipe you posted years ago. Thanks Sophia!

Suzanne said...

Made this tonight for my daughter's soccer team dinner, huge hit!