Sunday, August 17, 2008

Garden Cucumber and Tomato Salad


This has been a favorite for years. The recipe came from one of the best cooks and most wonderful women that I've ever met, Joanne Hoth. She was the owner of Juniper Inn Restaurant and is one of my heroes! Every summer, I watch our cucumbers and tomatoes growing and ripening with great anticipation of the first bowl of this tasty treat! The most interesting thing about this recipe is that it doesn't taste nearly as delish when the cukes and tomatoes come from the store! This salad and a hearty homemade whole wheat bread make a meal on it's own! Try it! Enjoy!


cucumbers and tomatoes, chopped (I use at least 3 or 4 of each)
1 sliced and slightly chopped onion
1 cup sugar (I add an extra 1/4 cup)
1 cup cider vinegar
4 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbs. salt
pepper to taste (I use lots!)
Mix the dressing and pour over the chopped veggies. Chill and serve!

No comments: