Monday, July 6, 2009

Best Sloppy Joes in Town



For my entire life, I've thought that my Aunt Loraine made the best Sloppy Joes in the world and none have ever matched up to hers. However...Carol made "Sloppies", as we call them, last week for one of our LOST marathons and they were so good that I couldn't wait to make them again at home! These are the best! Very simple, very very tasty! It's one of those "to taste" recipes, but you'll get the idea. (Note: the photo is from Taste of Home, not the recipe.)




4-5 pounds of ground beef, browned with onions (add peppers, too, if you like) (I used 4#)


3 cans of Chicken Gumbo Soup


1-2 Tbsp. Mustard (I used 2)


1/2 - 1 cup brown sugar (I used a whole cup)


1 1/2 cups ketchup




Brown the beef. Add the rest. Cook down until thickened. Or Brown the beef and add all ingredients in the crock pot. Simmer on low until serving. Most excellent and it makes a ton! Enjoy!!




2 comments:

Holly said...

I've seen this recipe before, a few times, and everytime I see it I think, "This can't really taste good." Adding Chicken Gumbo soup to ground beef just sounds wrong. I'll have to give it a try. (I trust you and Carol - I'm her neighbor, you know.) ;)

Amazed said...

This is the same sloppy joe recipe I grew up on! And it is wonderful!